Saturday, March 22, 2014

Hey everyone! I'm thrilled to be part of this health/lifestyle blog with Beth and Mandy! As you can tell from Mandy's post, they are fantastic girls--so much fun.

I'm the mom of three boys, so prioritizing my health has been a struggle. I have difficult pregnancies, and difficult recoveries, and my body has really taken a toll. I'm constantly under-slept, which makes wanting to work out hard! I've had some baby blues as well, which definitely makes me turn to "comfort food," a habit that I'm trying to change. For me comfort food=chocolate, and I think it is a difficult problem to find moderation. Because who honestly wants to live in a world without flavor? It's all about balance.

So those are my big weaknesses: emotional eating, lack of consistent, focused exercise. My goals? I believe strongly in focusing on what our bodies can do, rather than how others see us. The whole vanity part of the fitness industry plays crazy mind games with me, and ultimately discourages me when I don't look like I think I should after putting in hard work. So my goals are going to be performance based. My husband's work schedule becomes much lighter in about a week, so I'll be starting p90x with him. My first goal is to finish the 90 day program with him. A longer term goal is to run a 5k with "my girls" Mandy and Beth at the end of the summer. I haven't run competitively since high school and I completely gave up running about ten years ago after being diagnosed with arthritis. But I think it's time to get over my fears and DO something fun. I'm also a huge Tracy Anderson fan--so I'll blog about the different programs I try from time to time.

My inspiration. And I plan on using the heck out of my body! 

So lastly, here's my go-to lunch. It's quick, delicious, and vegan.

I picked these up at Winco, but I know Costco sells the red pepper & tomato under the Kirkland brand. There is also a red lentil soup that is amazing as well. Organic, vegan, and so good for you. I'll warm up a cup of this with a couple pieces of whole grain bread and maybe some baby spinach.

Here's a recipe that our family loves for breakfast. This comes from the Vegan Dad blog, which is a great resource for Vegan food that tastes good, and is kid friendly: (his recipe is for waffles, but I made it up into blueberry pancakes this night)

Vegan Dad Pancakes

Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 2/3 cup rice milk (I used soy but you could use any nut milk)

- 1/3 cup oil

METHOD
1. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
2. Mix liquid ingredients and flax seed in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Let batter sit for 5 mins to let the flax seed absorb some liquid.
3. Cook according to whatever waffle iron you are using. I oil the iron down with a pastry brush, and use 1/4 cup of batter per waffle square.



No comments:

Post a Comment