Thursday, March 27, 2014

Food for thought

Tracy Anderson' philosophy on food and beauty resonate with me, and help me stay a little more sane about this whole process (I'm a perfectionist and carry around a lot of high expectations coupled with severe self hatred when I fall short). She was interviewed by the website The New Potato, and this was my favorite bit:

Three pieces of advice to those looking to change their health habits…

1.  We are emotionally programmed from an early age to love certain foods and the emotional stress of depriving yourself of these foods can be damaging.  So my advice would be to not completely deprive yourself of foods that you know you love. Know your body and understand which foods may cause you sensitivity or chronic inflammation.  Take that information and feed your body right.

2.  You have to move your body. I think you should move it smartly and strategically from a fitness perspective to set yourself up for fun and games, like a game of football in the yard or a good tennis match.

3.  Eat and drink all organic. Period!

I think we make food our adversaries too often, and make life (and weight loss/fitness) more difficult in the process. By taking a gentler approach, realizing this is a long term change and a gradual process, we can make the changes we want in a lasting, healthy way.

Lately when I've had an emotional craving, I've been trying to own the emotion, and make better decisions. If I want a cookie, I want to be able to enjoy it, not eat out of guilt or emotion, or stress. So that is what I'm practicing.

I'm less obsessed with organics than she is (there is a fantastic Healthcare triage video on YouTube explaining why) but I'm all for whole, freshly grown foods.

You can read her full interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment